IDE doesn't suck! (was: Macs and PCs vs workstations

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 7 16:17:46 CDT 2006

>Subject: IDE doesn't suck! (was:  Macs and PCs vs workstations
>   From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch-cctalk at 30below.com>
>   Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:56:09 -0400
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>Rumor has it that Zane H. Healy may have mentioned these words:
>>At 4:22 PM -0500 8/5/06, Scott Quinn wrote:
>>
>>>On the Macs: PIDE is horrible for doing more than one thing at once. Period.

Sounds more like a driver problem as in only one task at a time.

>>Nothing new there, is there any platform where it isn't?
>
>The IDE interface for my CoCo *Rocks!!!*
>
>=-=
>
>Well, you did ask... ;-)
>
>Laterz,
>Roger "Merch" Merchberger

Generally speaking IDE was as good as the hardware hosting it.  More often
than not, better.  At it's worst it was as good as WD1003 and a Fast MFM
(quantum D540) Then again, early IDE was exactly that!

Z80/10mhz, enhanced CPM(Zrdos) and IDE... Zoom zoom!

Allison