Mac keyboards

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Tue Aug 8 10:56:41 CDT 2006

>Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:30:08 -0700
>From: Don <THX1138 at dakotacom.net>

>I have an "Apple Adjustable Keyboard" -- a wacky keyboard
>that splits in the center ("ergonomic"?) and has an
>auxillary "function/numeric" keyboard that sits alongside
>it (sheesh!  What a wacky arrangement -- how to use up the
>most desktop space with the least added functionality!  :<  )
>
>Needless to say, I am not happy with it.  What should I
>be looking for as an alternative?

If you're using it with your Q840AV, then you need an ADB keyboard.
Many folks believe that the best were the Apple Extended Keyboard II.
These are generally easy to find at thrift shops/Goodwill and such
for $10 - $15.  They originally retailed for well over $100.  I
imagine that there are (or were) thousands or tens of thousands of
them sitting at recyclers waiting to be crushed--and they're just
full of keyswitches.

If you're really lucky, you might find a NeXT Model N8001 keyboard.
Some NeXT machines used an ADB keyboard.  The N8001 has a compact
size (no F keys) and the Command key is a long bar below the
spacebar, which I find very convenient--though it sort of ruins me
for other keyboards.  And a completely superficial feature that
pleases me disproportionately, it's a nice pure black, except for the
green 'Power' button.   Unfortunately, it's a membrane keyboard, so
you may not like the feel.  For a nice clackety clack feel, stick
with the Extended Keyboard II.

BTW, if you need a bunch of Mac specific help you may wish to check
out the Vintage Macs email group sponsored by Lowendmac.com.   I'd
point you at the comp.sys.mac.* hierarchy, but the newsgroups just
aren't what they used to be, sigh.

I really like newsreader clients *a lot* better than email clients or
web based fora.   Sigh again.   Trolls recently drove the signal
portion of the S/N ratio off of the rec.aquaria hierarchy and onto
Google groups and reading fora on a web browser is painful.   It only
shows me 30 thread titles at a time.   I have to load a new page
rather than simply scrolling to see the rest of the thread titles.
Everything opens in the same window, instead of a separate window for
each message that I open.   Newswatcher (or maybe TIN) was the peak
of forum/newsgroup browsing ease.

Jeff Walther