End of PeeCees?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Aug 8 17:12:06 CDT 2006

On 8/8/2006 at 2:42 PM Fred Cisin wrote:

>IBM, and its retailers (including Computerland and Sears Business Centers)
>preferred to sell complete machines.
>BUT, they would sell individual components.

Maybe so, but if you wanted a 5150 when it was first introduced (me), you
bought what was offered.  And all Confuserland was offering was the 5150
with 64K populated-cum-disk drive.  The IBM Sales office on Arques offered
to get one for me "in 3 or 4 months".  I did have my choice of video card
(extra--I took the monochrome), skipped the monitor (rigged up an amber
screen Taiwanese import that could be goosed to go to 18Khz).  I added a 96
tpi Teac as my second drive.  Later, I acquired the 8" Shugart 4MB hard
drive and a WD1001 controller and wired up my own interface card and
drivers for PC-DOS.  I went to 256K with the Purple Computing
"daughterboard" mod.  I got rid of the thing when the Taiwanese clones came
out--just duplicated the 5150 ROMs into 2764's and used those instead of
the Far East BIOS.  8 slots instead of 5 was very nice.

I guess I wasn't interested in the minimum RAM--I paid $99 for the
miserable IBM Assembler (quality software by Microsoft) and needed enough
memory to run it.  It wasn't long until I "acquired" a copy of Lattice C (I
still have it).

Cheers,
Chuck