HP 1000 double integer instructions info

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sun Aug 13 17:51:52 CDT 2006

On 13 Aug 2006 at 20:57, Holger Veit wrote:

> Note that some of these codes are overlayed by the Double integer
> instrs. Actually, on the F the DBI instrs are scattered over multiple
> locations;

Yes, part are in the FP area, the rest in the FFP area.  I'd guess that's
because the E-Series microcode for both became much smaller when it was
adapted for the F-Series hardware floating point box.  So HP reused those
emptier areas (and ROMs), rather than allocate a new block from the "HP
Reserved" microcode spaces.

> C-2, in constrast contains much more opcodes, several of which I
> haven't yet identified completely.

Which ones?  Note that the A-Series added a lot of new instructions for the
new hardware, e.g., code and data separation (CDS) instructions.

> You might also look at the 5950-3767 M-E-F CE handbook (bitsavers) on
> pp 11-22 ff. which also lists the SIGNAL/1000 opcodes.

Had already.  :-)  It has the F-Series opcodes for the double integer
instructions, but not the E-Series ones.

                                      -- Dave