SMT PDP-8 (was Re: group buy for homebrew CPUs?)

vrs vrs at msn.com
Mon Aug 14 01:11:07 CDT 2006

From: "Ethan Dicks" <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
> On 8/14/06, Josef Chessor <josefcub at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/13/06, vrs <vrs at msn.com> wrote:
> > > the SMT modules down into the footprint of, say, an 18 or 20 pin DIP.
It
> > > wouldn't look much like a replica anymore, though.
> >
> > How about an 18 or 20 pin SIP?  Tricky to pull and replace repeatedly,
> > but you'd get the stand-out module look you're trying to achieve.
>
> And it would be *substantially* cheaper than dozens of 0.1" headers and
sockets.

If I'm understanding you right, it would still be 0.1" spacing, and so still
nearly two inches long.  The original cards were only a little under 3.5",
so
I'm not sure the SIP would give the overall size reduction I was looking
for.

I'm also not too clear why that would be substantially cheaper.  Is it
because
the header pins are gold plated?

    Vince