PDP-8 /e/f/m memory
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 17:26:52 CDT 2006
> > I have mini-Maglites in my toolkit - three of 'em, and they all get use; I
> > work in the dark a great deal, but that's another story * - and recently
> > had the unpleasant surprise of having one of the "regular" batteries
> > corrode and die (and the batteries had been replaced less than a month
> > earlier). This did an _astonishingly_ effective job of destroying the
> > interior of the Maglite as well, the acids eating away the Maglite's
Actually, I thought the electrolyte was alkaline....
> > shell in a way I literally didn't think was possible. Defective battery?
> > Some other problem? We may never know.
> What brand of battery? I haven't seen a battery fail like this
> in decades. Was the light stored in a harsh environment?
With some (most?) alkaline primary cells (the 'Duracell' type of thing),
the outer casing of the cell is the +ve connection. There's an insulating
sleeve around it, of course. And the outer casing of a Maglite is
connected to the -ve side of the battery via the spring at the bottom end.
So if the insualting sleeve on a cell fails, then that cell, or the whole
battery, is shorted out. That will cause it to discharge darn fast, and
More information about the cctech