Scanning formats

David Hunt dm.hunt at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 15 09:40:18 CDT 2006

> Hi,
>
> I usually don't bother compressing TIF's of scanned images --
> since I'm not too concerned with saving space for small documents.
>
> But, recently, I started scanning B-size drawings (e.g.,
> print sets for projects I've worked on).
> Usually, I have to scan these at higher resolutions (because
> I often print B size versions of D size drawings  :<  ).
>
> The larger sheet size and higher scan resolutions are
> starting to make single sheets quite *large*!
>
> Suggestions?  I had thought of FAX encoding (naive but it
> should work well on line drawings/schematics)...
>
> Thanks!
> --don

I use PNG format at 300dpi, a colour A4 (8.26" x 11.7") page weighs in at
around 17MB and a monochrome page at 5MB. I haven't needed to scan only
black and white, most diagrams tend to be naturally aliased so monochrome
scanning produces nicer results than line-art. Using PNG, I haven't noticed
any compression artifacts.

e.g. monochrome page <http://www.q-space.co.uk/009.png>
colour page <http://www.q-space.co.uk/007.png>

Dave ;)