Computers and heat density

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Wed Aug 16 18:49:36 CDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Jules Richardson wrote:

> Oh, there was certainly some good hardware around. Actually, for embedded
> type systems like telecomms, I believe that they haven't seen anything like
> the kind of bloat that's around for desktop / server systems.

I was a telecom test engineer at my last job, and the software quality was
atrocious. I once got a nice christmas gift from the engineering
department of a Canadian company for finding ~30 critical (fails and
doesn't come back up without operator intervention) bugs in their SIGTRAN
product in less than 2 months; this after their sales department convinced
our management that the product was deployed in "dozens of sites".

Then there was the GSN we bought from an Indian branch of a big American
defense contractor; once again "dozens" of prior deployments were
promised, but the product would not interoperate with anything other than
their (buggy) test software. Parts of this real-time system were written
in embedded TCL! I still have my notes on how to construct SS7 frames that
will crash their stack; they refused to fix these because "the far end
shouldn't be sending malformed frames" :-) I quit that job 1.5 years after
the GSN was acquired, and only maybe 80% of the worst bugs had been fixed
yet, however we had already deployed the product to 2 of our own
customers.

Our own flagship piece of software hit 100% CPU at around 30-45 calls per
second on a PIII 700 M CPU because every call control action has to update
the Call Detail Records, and I gather there was a single spinlock over the
whole (Microsoft Access) DB.

I'm betting with my test experience, I could make better quality products
than 90% of the telecom market with 1-2 handpicked RF engineers and 3-4
systems programmers. Of course the sales would still all go to the
politically connected companies selling drek, so we would never make a
profit. :-/

 			Alexey