Simon Computer

Robert Borsuk rborsuk at colourfull.com
Tue Aug 22 18:42:16 CDT 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 6:59 PM, Marvin Johnston wrote:

> I'm curious what the group thinks about offering a kit for the
> Simon Computer
> that would include a schematic, parts list, and perhaps construction
> instructions. For those of you who aren't aware, Simon is a five
> bit relay
> computer designed by Edmund Berkeley. A series of articles about
> how the
> computer worked was published in the Oct 1950 - Sept 1951 issues of
> Radio
> Electronics. I've thought about it, but I would guess the parts
> cost alone would
> be in excess of $300.00, and maybe considerably more. On the other
> hand, it is a
> really cool computer :).

I think the idea has merit BUT I think it would be better to offer
the schematic, parts list, and perhaps construction instructions /
copy of the articles.
That way, the cost would be substantially lower.   I'm interested in
the design, but doubt I would ever have time to build one.

Rob

Robert Borsuk
irisworld at mac.com
--