Feelings about vintage systems

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 15:32:18 CDT 2006

Brian L. Stuart wrote:
> Now some
> people might think there is some significant historical value in the
> PC per se, but I've got to say I see it just as another step on a
> road toward smaller and smaller devices that will eventually approach
> the ubiquitous computing model Xerox talked about a while back.
> I can't honestly say that I see much intellectually interesting about
> the fact that it put computers in the hands of the masses.

Well if the IBM PC hadn't turned up, surely computers would have ended up in
the hands of the masses anyway? There were plenty of good, robust, expandable
systems with good software support worldwide at the time - all it needed was
for society to be ready to accept 'the computer' on a wider scale. IBM just
happened to be in the right place at the right time, and it's unfortunate that
they'd built a turkey :-)

--
A. Because it destroys the natural flow of conversation.
Q. What's wrong with top posting ?