Feelings about vintage systems

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 24 17:00:52 CDT 2006

On 8/25/2006 at 9:46 AM Ethan Dicks wrote:

>I frequently wonder how history would have changed if they'd gone with
>the 68000 in Boca Raton.  ISTR it was more of a cost issue than
>anything else.

A lot of of folks were hoping that they would.  IBM came out with their lab
computer using a 68K just before the launch of the PC.  I suspect that the
fairly complete line of peripheral chips behind the 8086 line was a big
factor influencing CPU choice.  I'm glad that IBM didn't decide on the 8275
as the CRT controller.  That would have been a big mistake.

Cheers,
Chuck