Floppy disk sizes ( was Re: Compaq Portable III fails POST? )

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Aug 26 17:18:15 CDT 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Huh? 3" floppies too!

The 3" was used in Amstrad, the first of the Gavilans, and a few others.
External drive units were sold in the USA by Amdek for use with Coco and
Apple][

> That means there are 5 different floppy disk sizes that I now know of:
> 3" 3.5" 5" 8" 12" (used on a special Sony Laservision machine)
> Are there any more??

Oh, yes.
Somewhere in the archives are detailed discussions of the battle of sizes
for "shirt pocket disks" (3, 3.25, 3.5), and how Dysan bet the company and
lost, trying to promote their 3.25" format.  (Seequa Chameleon 325, etc.)
For a very short time, most MAJOR software titles were available on 3.25".

There was also an IBM 3.9", and numerous 2", 2.5", and 2.9" diskettes.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com