Recommendations for operating system

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Aug 27 22:12:22 CDT 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 10:13 pm, Choctaw Bob wrote:
> I think that this just squeaks in as being on topic.
>
> I am looking for suggestions for an operating system for a PC, specs 75
> MHZ Pentium, 16 MB Ram, 4 GB HD, currently running PC-DOS Ver 7.
> Original IBM PC-DOS right out of the factory sealed box.  I am thinking
> about  putting GEM on the machine, maybe CP/M-86.  Thought about GEOS,
> but rejected it, too closed.
> Specs seem too tight for Linux or BSD, or at least little advantage over
> DOS or CP/M.
>
> Anyone have experience with an operating system that might work, and be
> capable of useful work?

You can go with linux if you leave out a lot of stuff,  or go with older
versions.  My intiail install of Slackware in 1999 was installing
*everything* on a 1G HD,  these days I feel a bit more comfortable in 4G or
so and don't install a lot of stuff.

For textmode uses,  it'll work well,  and if you must GUI,  use one of the
lighter-weight window managers and stay away from Gnome and KDE.  I do more
with less hardware by using no GUI at all,  like my firewall/router box that
runs on a 486,  and that's Slackware 10 or so.

-
M Dakin