Floppy disk sizes ( was Re: Compaq Portable III fails POST? )

Roger Merchberger zmerch-cctalk at 30below.com
Tue Aug 29 11:53:32 CDT 2006

Rumor has it that Roy J. Tellason may have mentioned these words:
>On Monday 28 August 2006 04:53 pm, Mike Loewen wrote:

> >     Some Korg MIDI equipment used a 2.8" QuickDisk:
> >
> > http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/ar/k/korg/s/sqd1.html
> >
> >     Some Akai samplers also used the QuickDisk. Apparently, these was also
> > referred to as 3" diskettes, according to Wikipedia.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk#Mitsumi.27s_.22Quick_Disk.22_3-inc
> >h_floppies

On the aforementioned wikipedia site, the picture of the 2.8" disk is from
Smith-Corona of typewriter/wordprocessor fame - which may have OEMmed a few
Radio Shack word processors as I remember seeing (about 6 years ago) a
1-each blister-pack with an RS-branded 2.8" floppy in it. IIRC (which I
doubt) the storage was either 100K or 200K. The old RS (which also, is no
longer a RS) has since moved to a smaller location, so I'd seriously doubt
they still have it. IIRC, they wanted full price for it (like $10+), so I
left it. (They were also selling a NOS Tandy 1000SX[1] for a clearance
price of $799.99 (almost 1/2 off the *original* released price.))

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

[1] For those who don't know early Tandy/RS PCs, this was a dual-5.25"
floppy drive system (no HD), 8Mhz 8086 w/384K RAM standard... For $800 you
could pick up a 500+Mhz P3/Athlon w/decent hard drive & CD burner at that
time. I'm guessing he never sold it. ;-)

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!