Floppy disk sizes ( was Re: Compaq Portable III fails POST? )

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Aug 29 12:28:34 CDT 2006

On 8/29/2006 at 12:53 PM Roger Merchberger wrote:

>On the aforementioned wikipedia site, the picture of the 2.8" disk is from

>Smith-Corona of typewriter/wordprocessor fame - which may have OEMmed a
>few Radio Shack word processors as I remember seeing (about 6 years ago) a

>1-each blister-pack with an RS-branded 2.8" floppy in it. IIRC (which I
>doubt) the storage was either 100K or 200K.

You may be too generous.  I've got a SCM PWP-7000LT here that uses those
and IIRC, you get about 50-60K on one.  The drive is the "continuous
spiral" type;  i.e., the head is operated through a clutch off the spindle
motor and performs a sweep of the entire disk surface in a single
operation.

Cheers,
Chuck