Floppy disk sizes ( was Re: Compaq Portable III fails POST? )

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Aug 30 13:19:56 CDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> That's certainly the talk I heard back then.  One innovation that's often
> overlooked is the automatic shutter so that a paper "envelope" isn't needed
> to protect the cookie.  Certainly, the envelope on the 3.25" Dysan floppy
> would be easily lost--and the floppies would get contaminated with lint if
> you tried to keep them in a shirt or coat pocket.

. . . and bent, mangled, etc.
But Dysan did not want to go to the extreme of switching to a hardshell.
and,... the "wisdom" of the time was that the accepted format would be the
one with software availability, so they bet it all with a giant publishing
venture.

My early Shugart 3.5" diskettes had no shutter.
Then came the manually slide open, and pinch the corner to close.
Many fairly modern diskettes still have the little arrow that pointed to
where you were to pinch it!

It's too bad that the 3" didn't carry the field.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com