Octal

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Aug 31 20:40:54 CDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 09:13 pm, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 9/1/2006 at 12:25 AM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >Obviously you can use 'decimal' nixie tubes to display in octal (just
> >ingore the 8 and 9 cathodes. Did anyone ever make hexadeximal nixie tubes
> >with 16 cathodes of the appropriate shapes? I've not seen them in the
> >databooks.
>
> I've never seen one either.  I wonder if it's a limitation of the geometry
> where it's just not possible to pack 16 alphanumerics into a bottle without
> too many things being obscured by the electrodes.  AFAIK, the only fully
> alphanumeric nixies were the 13 segment varieties.

I don't remember counting them,  but the only ones I saw that would display
alphanumerics were also segmented,  as you describe here.  On display and lit
up in some store that was on Canal St. in NYC years ago,  they sure aren't
there any more.

But segmented displays aren't always the best choice.  If you have a display
where that last digit is reading "4" and it occasionally bobbles to 3 or 5,
a Nixie will show you this by the relative brightness of those electrodes,
while a 7-segment display will show you "8"...

-
M Dakin