UK PAL ==> US NTSC video convertor box?

Jim Beacon jim at g1jbg.co.uk
Sat Dec 2 16:03:36 CST 2006

From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>

> On 30 Nov 2006 at 22:14, Jules Richardson wrote:
>
> > I wonder what the quality's like? Going PAL -> recoder -> NTSC obviously
won't
> > be as good as native NTSC device output. Or, to put it another way, is
the
> > average PCI TV tuner card as good quality as the tuner found in a good
TV set?

> ...a silly question occurred to me.  Why bother with remodulating?
> Why not just drive an RGB monitor with the demodulated output?  I use
> such an arrangement to view PAL-recoded VHS tapes and resulting color
> is much better than local NTSC broadcast quality.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

There's no reason why you shouldn't put it onto a VGA monitor, except for
aesthetics - a vintage home computer looks better on a vintage TV set, much
like I try to use period programs when demonstrating the TV sets (I hide the
PC under the table). When experimenting, I use a variety of display
devices - the console drives a modern 1024x768 TFT monitor, and for the most
part, the TV ouput drives a 1970 Sony TV9-90UB monochrome TV, which is dual
standard, and will display either 405 or 625 line pictures. I have a Melford
monitor which will handle 525 and 625, and use a Tektronix 535A scope (circa
1960), with a type O plug-in for esoteric standards, but when it comes to a
demonstration, a 1950's TV set displaying a 1950's program is very
impressive. The advantage of the PC method of picture generation is that it
gives the maximum possible resolution on a set (assuming a well desinged
modulator).

Jim.