PDP11 adventures

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 14:08:00 CST 2006

> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 15:20 -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> OK... so I'm now the new (proud :-) ) owner of a PDP-11/83.

Congrats! I've been battling with a reluctant 11/73 today in the workshop,
on work's time :) We have some RD53s to test for a customer.....

>> There doesn't seem to be a reason to the layout of the grant continuity
>> cards.
>> Shouldn't there be one in the left side of the 3rd slot from the top in
>> the 183QA-D2
>> (system unit) ?

No, the first 3 slots of the Q22 bus carry the grant continuity on the CD
portion so a dual-height card in the AB side of slot 3 is fine.

>> Any pointers on how the RQDX3 and RQDXE cards should wire up ?  The
>> RQDXE in the system unit has a wide ribbon cable running to the front
>> (which I presume breaks into the control/data wiring for an MFM drive
>> there).. but the RQDX3 doesn't connect to the RQDXE ..

I've just done this today - the RQDXE goes in the last AB slot with the BA23
drive bay cable going to the back-most connector, the external port
(multi-coloured cable) goes in the middle connector and the cable to the
RQDX3 goes to the front-most connector, ie nearest the backplane fingers.
There are jumpers to select too, and the manual for those is available on
MANX and Bitsavers.....many thanks to the folks involved there.

--
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs creator/curator