TCP/IP, FTP, and MSDOS?

joseph c lang jclang at notms.net
Thu Dec 7 17:28:29 CST 2006

> Out of interest, what do I need in the way of TCP/IP software /
> configuration and FTP client software so that I can connect to a remote FTP
> server from MSDOS?
>
> I don't think I've ever set up such a config from scratch. I can live with
> 10Mbps speeds if required (would DOS drivers even drive a card at anything
> more anyway?)
>
> NIC cards I seem to have available:
>
>    Netgear FA310TX (PCI)
>    HP 88809L (ISA)
>    3Com Etherlink III (PCI)
>    3Com Etherlink III (ISA)
>    Asix NV100AM (PCI)
>    'Network Everywhere' NC100 (PCI)
>    3Com 3C905 (PCI)
>
> The ISA boards perhaps have the drawback that they're software
> configurable, so I have no idea what settings they'll want to use (or which
> interface), or how well they'll behave in the new-ish system I need to put
> a card in. The PCI boards on the other hand are newer so maybe DOS drivers
> don't even exist for them...
>
> (Etherlink III's were always reliable I seem to recall, but I never did
> like the idea of them being software configurable; it was much nicer to
> have jumpers on a card and *know* what it was configured as!)
>
> cheers
>
> Jules

Here's what I use.....

Trumpet ABI (not winsock that's different) TCP/IP stack
It includes FTP client, telnet and more...
D-link ne-2000 clone ISA card and packet driver
Tsoft NFS
dos 7.0 (aka windows 95 kernel)

I use this combination because:
 it produced the smallest memory foot print (577K free)
 it will fit on (and boot from) a single floppy
 it has a documented interface, so I can write code
 (I had to write my own LPR).

The stacks I looked at were:
microsoft -  serious memory hog
novell - won't fit on a floppy and you can't remove the boot disk
wattcp - this worked pretty well, but it wasn't a TSR so no ping response
without an application running.

I have the need to keep a DOS box running to support my prom/gal programmer
and a couple of DOS CAD programs. I don't ever intend to buy the same
program more than once....

I boot from a 1.4M floppy and NFS mount the "C:" drive.

BTW I've also used an INTEL EE/PRO 100  (PCI) with the same setup (different
packet driver) and It works just fine.  DOS runs pretty good on an 800Mhz.
x86.

joe lang