PDP11 adventures

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Dec 7 23:00:28 CST 2006

Seth J. Morabito wrote:

>>> What actually fails in them?
>>>
>> Head actuator I think; it powers up and spins up, doesn't sound headcrashed
>> but I can't hear or feel the heads move.....
>>

> Definitely check for stiction, it's a very common problem on RD53s.  If
> the data on them is worth saving, you can probably make a clean enough
> environment in your home or office to open up the drive assembly and
> nudge the head loose from the sticky rubber that it's parked against.
> You can probably get at least one good read out of it without it
> crashing (I know folks who've opened up their RD53s, reassembled them,
> and run them successfully for months afterward.  YMMV!)

gah... I should have read beyond 'check for stiction'... the sticktion
you describe
is what I laid out in option 2... oops... its late... shouldn't be
reading e-mail...
so I didn't read beyond the the first line before commenting... doh !

The one drive I fixed it wasn't sticking to it (physically)... but the
drive was
holding the heads against it hard electrically (felt stuck with drive
on).  I
think it holds hard against this looking for track 0... then fine ajusts
for track 0
center.... if that bumper changes geometry with age, or gets moved over
time...
then it can't get a read on track 0.... hence why adjusting it by a
thousandth if
an inch in my case got the drive working nicely....

-- Curt

-- Curt