History of EDA (electronic design automation)?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Dec 12 11:05:03 CST 2006

On 12 Dec 2006 at 16:48, Philip Pemberton wrote:

> > I've still got a copy of the first Orcad SDT--ran on a PC-XT (I think
> > it coiuld run on floppies) using CGA or Hercules.
>
>  From what I can gather, you needed two floppy drives - one for the OrCAD
> program disc, and another for your 'work' disc.

Yes--and the printer options were rather limited.  I remember having
to print to disk and then use my own program to translate Epson
graphics to the printer I had at the time.  The library wasn't the
greatest, but it was pretty simple to add parts to it.

All in all, for the limited hardware it had, it wasn't a bad system.
I used it quite a bit, even if it meant taping together sheets of
tractor-feed printer paper.  It was still easier than drawing by hand-
-and you got some very rudimentary design checking and a BOM.

One of the first programs for which I used a mouse.

Cheers,
Chuck