VR241 and X.Org

Adam Goldman adamg at pobox.com
Wed Dec 13 19:12:34 CST 2006

>It's a normal TV rate (that is, 15.7kHz horizontal, 60Hz vertical) RGB
>analogue monitor.
>> Is it possible to hook this thing up to a PC? Is there anything I need
>> to bear in mind when configuring X?
>It will not sunc to nromal VGA frequencies. Period. I cna't think of a PC
>video adapter that will easily drive it, either.

Matrox cards (including 220, G100, G200 and G400) have a fully
programmable dot-clock, so they should be able to drive it. They'll drive
a Commodore 1080, which is also a TV-rate monitor -- I just tried it.

Of course, you won't get a valid display until the OS comes up and sets
the video mode. I believe there's a tool to flash the video BIOS so it'll
power up in the desired mode, but then you won't be able to use a
VGA monitor with that card any more, unless you flash it back.

-- Adam