Any early DSP fans?

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:01:52 CST 2006

>From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
>
>On Dec 10, 2006, at 10:17 AM, 9000 VAX wrote:
>>I am wondering whether any member of this mailing list is  interested in
>>early DSP chips?
>
>   That depends on what you mean by "early".  I really like the  Motorola
>DSP56001 chips (I've hacked on them a bit, and I have a tray  of new ones
>just waiting for a cool project) and I've sniffed around  at the Analog
>Devices ADSP-2100 chips once I found a stash of  them...they look rather
>nifty as well, so they're also waiting for a  cool project.
>
>      -Dave

Hi Dave
I've hacked a modem board that used the ADSP-2115 and the ADSP-2116
processors. These were made by Cardinal and another manufacture
that I forget. They were called "Soft Modems" because they had no
firmware and were boot loaded from the PC's disk.
I did a simple project to decode weather FAX using one of these
boards connected to a SW receiver. It was mostly just a filter
and zero cross detector. I used some code that someone else had
written on the PC to take the zero crossings and display the image.
Dwight