Advice for tape drive repair / maintenance

Joachim Thiemann joachim.thiemann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 12:15:56 CST 2006

On 12/18/06, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
> This is the classic failure mode for the rollers. Pressure/Temperature
> causing breakdown of the rubber.

> There is no way to prevent it. The rubber had already decomposed, and
> the elevated temperature caused what was left of the bonds to change
> state.

Hmmm, my next idea - just for obtaining the data, not the long-term
preservation of the drive - is to write a quick and dirty script or C
program to read the data off the drive slooooowly.  After all, it took
a considerable number of minutes of the drive going at full speed to
cause the rubber to fail.

If I read one block, then pause for a bunch of seconds, I think I
could do this in a careful enough matter.  The problem is I only have
one shot at this, so I should give a generous cool-off period.

Joe.