Advice for tape drive repair / maintenance

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 17:37:13 CST 2006

> Going slightly OT, I assume the same thing
> would happen to any rubber rollers in VHS
> players, and be the main (only?) reason why
> VHS players start chewing VHS tapes?

I've not (yet) aeen a video recorder where the rollers have turned to
goo. Not saying it can't happen, though.

The usueal reason for tape chewins is wear on the reel-drive idler which
means the tape is not wound nack into the cassette on eject (And may not
be properly taken up during play/record, so it gets tangled round bits of
the machine). Or wear of the backtension band so that the tape loops on
the feed side of the head during play/record and gets tangled. Or wear on
the pinch roller so that the tape runs away from the correct path.

Assuming the heads are still good, a set of rollers and tension band is
not expensive. Setting up the back tension is 'fun', and you will need a
service manual for the machine (but hey, do you really have a machine
that you don't have the service manual for?).