HP 2000F'

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue Dec 19 11:10:18 CST 2006

Patrick wrote....
> What Jay doesn't say is that he's been hoarding the systems, and really
> has a warehouse full of them, and is putting them on eBay at $5-10k each
> just for dkdkk to bid on. ;)
Actually, I do have the parts to build a few more of them - and have been
offered rather enticing sums of money to do so from several people who are
not on the list. That being said, I'm having trouble defying physics and
creating enough time to persue doing so. I have my own machines I need to
consolidate & restore first.

> J/K, but Jay, it's amazing that only 2-3 of those machines still exist.
> No museums have any of those? (Or, are there others, just not in a
> runable state?)
I did say "running"... I'm not aware of any that actually are running. But
it's not quite as hairsplitting as it sounds, because there's more to it
than just having the correct hardware running... I am aware of a few
machines in museums that are likely to be HP2000 TSB systems, but one can't
tell if it was really an HP2000 configuration or was it just a system
running RTE. I'm fairly sure some in museums are/were TSB machines, but even
those don't run to my knowledge.

It's kind of an odd thing. With a few very key exceptions, an HP2000 TSB
system used off-the-shelf HP hardware that was also used for other more
common OS's such as RTE. Are there 21MX cpus in museums? Sure. 7900A drives?
Sure. 7905/7906/7920 drives? Sure. Do people have those machines/devices
running and fully operable? Sure! But do those cpu's include the special
additional firmware for HP's TSB? If not, then they are the right hardware
but missing a key element. Do they have the 12920/12921 mux sets? If not, no
TSB can run. And more importantly, some other OS can and likely DID run on
them then.

So if someone has an HP2100 cpu with a running 7900A drive and paper tape
reader... is it an HP2000 machine? Not without the special microcode that
was required just for TSB. And the OS wouldn't run without the MUX set. So
my argument is that it's really not an HP2000 if it's completely incapable
of running the OS due to missing chips. If NO other OS would run on it, then
I could see an argument for saying it is still an HP2000. But without those
extra bits, the machine almost certainly ran some OTHER os like DACE, DOS,
RTE, MTOS, etc. And one certainly couldn't call it an HP2000 TSB machine
then.

Jay