Build your own Apollo Guidance Computer

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Dec 19 12:09:01 CST 2006

On 19 Dec 2006 at 10:30, Richard wrote:

> Is it even possible to build with RTL parts anymore?
>
> I guess you'd have to do it PDP-8 style with discrete transistors?

That's definitely an option--doing it with SMT components could even
come very close to the size of the original.  There are also
transistor arrays, if close matching is desired.

Given that the original was modular, I wonder why the copy didn't
implement that aspect.  Certainly one could have each type of module
on its own PCB.  Core would be a different matter (can one even
purchase monolithic sense amps anymore?), but a concession to modern
technology might not hurt too much in that area.

Cheers,
Chuck