RTL, was Re: Build your own Apollo Guidance Computer

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 20 15:45:25 CST 2006

"James B. DiGriz" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:28:31 -0800
> "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>
> > The very interesting thing about RTL was that the ICs could be
> > operated in the linear region for lots of non-logic applications.
>
> Now that is something I didn't know and find very much worth looking
> into. Any quick pointers to info on RTL operating in this mode?

Don't know about anything online, but in print keep your eye out for a copy of
Don Lancaster's "RTL Cookbook" (Sams, 1969), the predecessor to his better
known "TTL Cookbook". There's a chapter on "Linear Circuits and Techniques".
Mostly it's just biasing an inverter into the linear region with a resistor
to + on the input, but one of the cute tricks is to take two inverters in the
same package, raise the GND pin (common emitter) above circuit GND with a
resistor and so make a differential amplifier
(...on the other hand, the 709 was around at that time...)

Chuck Guzis wrote:

>I'll dig through my old literature.  I recall that Motorola offered
>an "Experimenter's Kit" of about 6 of their TO-99 packaged milliwatt
>RTL circuits with some non-digital application notes.

>Anyone still have the little booklet that came with this kit?

Bubble pack on mauve-colored cardboard backing?
  "Motorola HEP Integrated Circuit Experimenter Kit"
  "5 Prime Quality RTL I/C's"
  "$3.95"
I have two unopened packs, the staple holes are present in the cardboard where
presumably the booklet was attached, but the booklet is gone.