MS DOS overlay programming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Dec 21 20:33:11 CST 2006

On 21 Dec 2006 at 19:09, Michael B. Brutman wrote:

> Any ideas?  The only one I can think of is kind of brute force ...  have
> two apps, one that inits everything and leaves the storage resident, and
> another that refers to that resident storage.  (I was hoping for
> something simpler in the Borland runtime support.)

That's the approach that I'd take--except I'd have the first one
write a temp file with all of the initialzed goodies and have the
second one read it in.    It's dirty, quick and modular--and maybe
easier to debug.

I do know that not all C/C++ libraries are the same, nor are C/C++
compilers.  Some generate lots of calls to the library, which can
bring in all sorts of unneeded garbage.  I've written C programs with
their own startup code that run fine without any C library at all.
I don't know if that's even possible in C++, however.

Cheers,
Chuck