an ADM-3A cam in tod...ay

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Dec 28 13:43:14 CST 2006

On 28 Dec 2006 at 13:08, Jules Richardson wrote:

> I am curious as to what the glass firms use, though, as it seems more robust.
> Having owned a few 70s vehicles I've seen the effects of windscreens starting
> to delaminate at the edges - but it goes a milky colour and always starts from
> the very edge, whereas CRT 'sealant' tends to go more like mould, and often
> seems to start from random points (although it tends to be worse at the edges)

Laminated glass in automotive applications uses a layer of DuPont
Butacite® PVB (polyvinyl butyral).  I can't imagine the steps one
would need to take to use it in a non-commercial setup.

There are UV-cured resins suitable for use in producing bulletproof
glass.  See:  http://www.uvxm.com/en/  and
http://www.glasswebsite.com/divisions/laminating/profiles/cytec.asp

I wonder, however if a simple acrylic copolymer might work well for
small application where "bulletproof" is not an objective.  Something
such as Lexel caulk, for example.   I've used the stuff in my own
home for caulking appearance-sensitive areas and the result is a
smooth, water-clear bead that stays clear (at least for the past 12
years) and adheres well to amost anything.

Cheers,
Chuck