HP2648A tape drive capstans

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 13:12:50 CST 2006

> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Tony Duell wrote:
> > construction as those for the HP85. The problem is that the belt sticks
> > to the oxide layer on the tape, and/or the tape sticks together, and you
> > get major loss of the magnetic coating when you try to read the tape.
> > Needless to say this makes it unreadable.
>
> So you try to shred a tape first and after that you begin to think about it?

Well _I_ don't, but plenty of other people do. I don't use these tapes if
I can help it

> Everyone who *knows* that the belt is sticking opens the cartridge and
> tries to unstick the belt without damaging the tape. This works very fine
> by applying heat (similar to baking sticky tapes, but here the tape is

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a go on a couple of old HP85 tapes I
have (nothing rare, the stuff is already archived on the web, and I think
I have them on floppies anyway).

> There are other tape cartridges that are really bad, notably DC-300 QIC
> tapes from around 1977-1982. They have sticky belts *and* sticky tape
> *and* a belt that will simply tear when the tape is moved.

Any tips for dealing with those?

-tong