Me vs NiCad battery damage on PC boards

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Feb 1 09:42:00 CST 2006

On 2/1/2006 at 9:34 AM Tim  Shoppa wrote:

>But is there some magic chemical or mechanical means that will render
>the existing cruddy PC board solderable so I can replace these flaky
>sockets?

If you can't get solder to adhere to a copper trace using a rosin flux,
there aren't many reasons--the copper isn't getting clean enough or your
iron isn't tinned well.

After you get the big hunks of crud removed, I'd start with a couple drops
of a mild soap in some distilled water and a toothbrush, then graduate to
wood alcohol (methanol).  The methanol will help to dry things out as it
evaporates.

For the really tough spots, don't overlook using a slightly-abrasive (pink)
pencil eraser to clean up.  If that got nowhere, I'd be tempted to try a
copper-bristle brush on a dremel tool with a very light touch to knock the
crud off.

To repair broken traces, there are pens available that dispense a
conductive silver coating.

Cheers,
Chuck