extra rom sockets was Re: BIOS upgrade cards

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 18:19:13 CST 2006

> --- Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
>
> > ...there was room for 48K of ROMs, with
> > 40K being used (IBM 5150)
>
>  therefore anything you plug into those extra rom
> sockets would allow you to access them and create a
> "hex dump" if that's the right term, and save it to
> disk. ISTR Intel having some sort of hex format for
> rom images.

I think so. There would be two caveats, though :

1) The ROM would have ot have the right pinout (although I am pretty sure
IBM used a standard one).

2) The ROM had better not look like a valid BIOS extension ROM (i.e. have
the right header and checksum) if you don't want it to be executed at
boot-up.