Anybody have devices using RGB LEDs?

Doug Salot doug at blinkenlights.com
Thu Feb 9 17:10:28 CST 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Barry Watzman wrote:

> Wrong.  Blue (and White) LEDs are a relatively recent invention.  I'm not
> sure when they first came into existence, but it was WAY after 1991; it was
> closer to or even after 2000, although it might have been in the very late
> 1990's.  White LEDs were even later.  There were 3 color LEDs in 1991, but
> not RGB.

LEDTRONICS INCORPORATED    * FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE *
9005 Pacific Coast Highway
Torrance, CA 90505
(213) 549-9995
fax (213)549-4820

MARCH 8, 1991
FULL SPECTRUM RGB LED PRODUCES A RAINBOW OF COLORS

TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA -- Today, the industry's first integrated red,
green, blue (RGB) LED is available for the wide range of
applications anticipated since last years introduction of the blueLED.
Designated the L300RGB series, this discrete is packaged in a clear
or diffused 0.300" ( 8mm ) case. Incorporating state of the art chip
mounting technology that dissipates heat in closely spaced chip
arrays, this discrete utilizes high efficiency red chips ( 635nm),
high efficiency green chips ( 565nm), and 470nm blue chips. Direct
access to the RGB chips and a common cathode provide a virtual
cornucopia of color to the applications engineer.

Within the next six (6) months, this RGB discrete will be available
in a T1-3/4 (3mm) package. Design analyses for the T1 (3mm) package
are progressing. Additionally, total flexibility in chip selection
has been retained. Thus, this device can be manufactured with deep
red (660nm), pure green (555nm), and 470nm blue chips.

The potential applications for this discrete are as varied as the
colors available from it. First, of course, is a the [sic] best
rendition of a white color available in the LED market. The L300RGB
also serves as the fundamental multicolored pixel for large area
full color screens/monitors/displays. Additionally, the L300RGB
can be used in full color moving signs/displays, as a light source
for a variety of scanners such as used in color copiers and equipment
which senses a paper's color differences to detect counterfeit
currency, as a spectral analysis reference or source in color
scanning and high speed document reading, and color synthesis for
photic stimulation/simulation.

Data sheets for the L300RGB are available describing the brightness
of each chip and related electro-optical characteristics.
Necessary bias requirement to operate the L300RGB as a 5 VDC
discrete to obtain a white color are also provided. Application
notes regarding other colors/characteristics are currently
in preperation. Gather up the power supply and decade resistance box --
develop your rainbow of color. Prototype quantities are
immediately available. Costs for OEM quantities are expected to
be in the $5-$7 range.