Home written editors (was Re: Where to buy a Selectric?)

Philip Pemberton philpem at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jan 1 06:38:26 CST 2006

In message <m1Espze-000IyHC at p850ug1>
          ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> I feel the same way about hardware, which is probably why I feel nauseous
> when I look at the Apple ][ (and peripherals) schematics.

That thing is one gigantic hack after another. It's great how Woz managed to
get the chip count down (especially on the Disk II), but I still consider the
Apple II to be a horrendous hack. Not to the level of a Sinclair ZX81, but
still a hack.

I'd still like to get an Apple II to play with though. They look like pretty
fun machines to play with, especially on the I/O side.

> On the other
> hand I love elegantly designed hardware (which may also be complicated
> and ingenious) like the HP9100.

I kinda like the Atari vector generators. From a technical standpoint, they
aren't that special, but the way they were implemented was pretty neat. I've
stuffed a DVG into a CPLD, but I'm still working on actually building the PCB
board and testing the thing...

208-pin PQFP chips are NOT fun to design PCBs for.

--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem at dsl.pipex.com              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB