VAXStation 8000?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:25:44 CST 2006

On 1/3/06, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have one of these?
>
> They are a VAXstation based workstation with a fancy E&S graphics
> subsystem in them.  They had a limited release around 1988, which was
> when I saw one in operation when E&S did a dog-and-pony show at the
> UofU.

I don't have one, but I remember running into them at DECUS
conventions in the late 1980s - 56-bitplane graphics (double-buffered
24-bitplane main video plus an 8-bitplane hardware menu overlay area)
and a dialbox with at least a dozen dials.

Very nice for the time (and for some time thereafter).

-ethan