Speaking of 6502s, was Re: 70's micros still available - was 1802 problems

Tim Shoppa shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com
Tue Jan 3 19:28:10 CST 2006

"Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 08:39 pm, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> > "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:
> > > Speaking of 6502s,  I happen to have a whole bunch of those,  and some
> > > 6510s, and 6522s and 6526s,  and perhaps even some 6551 (?) UARTs too.
> > > Anybody have anything particularly nifty that these would be good for?  I
> > > kinda like Garth Wilson's workbench computer,  and definitely don't want
> > > to go the route that some have gone (found on the web) where multiple
> > > floppy drives and writing a bloody dos for it and all that sort of thing
> > > get involved.  Anybody know of some simple monitor-type software that's
> > > out there?
> >
> > How adaptable is the KIM-1 monitor?  IIRC it had both the keypad and
> > a TTY mode where it would use the UART. I used KIM-1's but never got too
> > much into poking around everything the monitor could do/did do.
>
> I always thought that'd be a nifty machine to get a hold of and play with,
> but never did,  somehow.  Last one I saw for sale was way up there in price,
> not something I was gonna spend...

Well, if you've got some of the chips and want to do some wire-wrapping
or soldering, you can buy the additional chips you need and
put one together without a lot of effort.  Schematics
on the web at Rich Cini's site.

> > There was also the Apple II monitor with its built-in disassembler
> > (and miniassembler with the right INTBASIC toolkit ROM, right?) It'll have
> > a lot of hooks into the Apple II video range but if those are somehow
> > rip-outable then it might be a start (worse comes to worse, you know that
> > you can use the PR# and IN# hooks for character in and out). And
> > also in the toolkit ROM was SWEET-16... Wow, going back a couple
> > of decades, that was fun back then!
>
> I remember some magazine article dealing with Sweet-16,  in Byte?  Been a long
> time,  anyhow.  That stuff built in ain't that big a deal,  my thinking is
> more toward doing assembly and such on some other box and downloading it.
>
> Big question for either of these,  though,  is source available?

The Apple II monitor had a complete commented listing in the back of the
book that came with it. (for a II it was the "red book", II+'s come with
a listing too at the end of the hardware manual.)

I'm sure Rich Cini's site has the source to the KIM-1 monitor.

Tim.