Thanks again, Dave!

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 18:58:58 CST 2006

> > > I think I already mentioned "KVM".
> >
> > Yes, but this is classiccmp :-). Exactly none of the 180+ machines I have
> > here would work with a normal KVM switch (most don't have PC-like
> > keyboard interfaces, none have VGA-type monitors). A KVM swtich will not
> > help when the monintors taking up you desk belong to things like
> > classic-PERQs. Or, indeed, when the monitor is built into the machine
>
> Not sure why this comment came out - the original conversation was specifically
> about machines capable of running ImageDisk, which would imply PCs. I'm

Simple :

Several of us (including myself) don't have space to set up another
machine, like a modern PC. You suggested a KVM switch. As I understand
it, this is a device that switches a single keyboard, monitor and mouse
between 2 machines.

But most, if not all, only work for machines which take PC-like keyboards
and VGA monitors (forget about the mouse, OK :-)). Which means it
wouldn't svce any space here becuase none of the machines on or around my
desk use such peripherals. So a KVM switch couldn't be used to share one
of the monitors and keyboards with the new PC that runs imagedisk.

> pretty sure the machines and monitors to which I made this comment were PCs
> (at least this was implied in the thread).
>
> Besides Tony, I wouldn't expect you to buy an off the shelf KVM .. but couldn't
> you build one that could translate between proprietary keyboard interfaces if
> you wanted one?

Oh, I probalby could, but I like to use the original keyboards on my
classics...

Anyewy, if I am going to go to all that work, I might as well design a
disk imaging device, which certainly wouldn't use an 8272 controller. If
I used a single chip, it would be one of the WD ones (which have a much
more useful read track command). Or I might just make something like a
Catweasel and grab the transitions on the read  data line from the drive
an analuse them in software later.