Sort of OT; new eBay phish

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 14:16:39 CST 2006

>    A quick warning because I know a lot of y'all deal extensively on
> eBay, and I obviously hadn't seen this one before.
>
>    I just got a phished "My Messages" eBay email from "a potential
> buyer".  It purported to be a question about a listed item, and the
> links to the listing took me to a fake login page.  It's very slick, I
> wasn't paying attention and I fell for it.

I'm sure I'll get caught now...

I stick with ancient e-mail software that doesn't let ne click on links.
That doesn't attempt to decode/dsipaly html. And which certaily doesn't
run executable programs (in any language).

I am less likely to get caught by something like this because I will spot
that the link doesn't go to ebay.co.uk or wherever, but goes to some
totally unknown site. At which point I am pretty sure it's fraudulent