Ebay Northstar Horizon

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jan 19 17:35:44 CST 2006

On 1/19/2006 at 3:06 PM Dwight Elvey wrote:

> Yes, Intel did this on their Series II machines after
>they had static problems. It killed two birds. Both
>the static problem and the RFI.

IIRC, the Intel boxes weren't plastic per se, but rather high-density
structural foam.  I recall that the model shop guys built the first
enclosure for our prototype using acrylic (Plexiglas), which being clear
looked pretty nifty,  but then moved to foam once the design was finalized.
 The foam was funny--the shop devised a gag of making root beer ice-cream
floats in paper cups and interspersing a couple in the bunch  filled with
structural foam, complete with straw and plastic spoon.

AFAIK, all such enclosures are painted--the native color of structural foam
is an unappealing yellow brown.  Most of the paint shops added zinc arc
coatings once using foam caught on.

Cheers,
Chuck