Ebay Northstar Horizon

Dwight Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Thu Jan 19 17:59:42 CST 2006

>From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>
>On 1/19/2006 at 3:06 PM Dwight Elvey wrote:
>
>> Yes, Intel did this on their Series II machines after
>>they had static problems. It killed two birds. Both
>>the static problem and the RFI.
>
>IIRC, the Intel boxes weren't plastic per se, but rather high-density
>structural foam.  I recall that the model shop guys built the first
>enclosure for our prototype using acrylic (Plexiglas), which being clear
>looked pretty nifty,  but then moved to foam once the design was finalized.
> The foam was funny--the shop devised a gag of making root beer ice-cream
>floats in paper cups and interspersing a couple in the bunch  filled with
>structural foam, complete with straw and plastic spoon.
>
>AFAIK, all such enclosures are painted--the native color of structural foam
>is an unappealing yellow brown.  Most of the paint shops added zinc arc
>coatings once using foam caught on.
>
>Cheers,
>Chuck

Hi Chuck
 The early intel ones were just painted with the Intel blue.
It wasn't until after the static discharge problems became
recognized that they started to use the internal coat and
connected it to ground.
 But, yes, it was not plastic. It was a lot lighter than
plastic but the entire unit is still quite heavy. It was
still using linear supplies.
Dwight