grinding down chips was Re: QX10 graphics board

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 06:37:23 CST 2006

>    OK genius, you suggest something that NO ONE can break! I'm sure the
> CIA, FBI, MI-5 and the Mafia would all love to know about it.

Hmmm... A RAM-based FPGA (something like a Xilinx XC3000 or XC4000
series), battery-backed supply, configured, and then the configuration
memory removed should keep you guessing...

Removing the fevice from the board would lose the configuration, and I
doubt if you could remove the encapsulation without losing it either.

Actually, reverse-engineering an FPGA from the configuration data is a
non-trivial task as the format of said data is undocumented.