you never know what you can find if you just ask

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sun Jan 29 20:04:27 CST 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 18:14, Richard wrote:
> In article <20060129145033.W24579 at shell.lmi.net>,
>
>     Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com>  writes:
> > I would have liked to see the multiple CRT one redone with
> > software/firmware to present a portion of the image on each screen.
> > (I want a multi-Giga-pixel display!)
>
> I wonder how much a 2" CRT costs in bulk.... of course after the
> glass, you have to have a frame buffer and video driver for each of
> them.

Why? it's not going to take much effort to drive the displays - they don't
have a bunch of pixels, just 3 stripes on them (at least the one I've seen).
You could probably pack enough electronics in half a dozen transistors, to
control the beam in the CRT (excluding the HV source).  Usually, the whole
thing acts like one monitor - one input signal to the whole device, whether
it's NTSC composite video (unlikely) or RGB at some fixed (NTSC maybe)
frequency.

It wouldn't be a whole lot more complicated than an average TV or multi-sync
monitor, other than having a larger power draw, and HV supply. :)

Pat