SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) grammer checked

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Mon Jun 5 16:26:25 CDT 2006

woodelf wrote:
> dave06a at dunfield.com wrote:
>
>> IMHO, and essential tool if you are serious about doing any kind of
>> rework is a good desoldering station. Takes a bit of time, but if done
>> it right, the chip just lifts out with no damage to it or the board. One
>> of the best investments to my workbench that I ever made....
>  > projects. The SBC6120 is good reason to get a better iron for me now.
>
>  I take it was tossup between a scope and good soldering iron
>  for the first best investment once you get off the kitchen table for
>  projects. The SBC6120 is good reason to get a better iron for me now.
>
> PS. I notice most TTL projects are wire wrapped that I have seen on the
> web rather than having a PCB made.

TTL is slow enough that WW is perfectly acceptable (assuming you
have the tools and patience).  Actually, WW can be a better
fabrication technique than a PCB in many cases.  PCB layout of
(really!) high speed designs is an art form that a lot of
folks don't quite appreciate.  So, Joe Average LayoutGuy may
not realize the BFM that goes into high speed (short edge
times, etc.) layouts.  And, you end up with a mess to try
to troubleshoot.

OTOH, wirewrap (by *machine*) is usually point to point which
tends to cut down on coupling between signals, right angles
in foil runs, etc.