SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) Last Buy and End of Life

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 3 15:21:49 CDT 2006

On 6/3/2006 at 1:04 PM woodelf wrote:

>PS. One can always order the board now and get the other parts later.

But it's the parts that aren't RoHS compliant!  Tinned leads=bad.  That's
why manufacturers are slashing production of legacy ICs (can you say DIP?)
on a wholesale basis.  If you can't sell them in the EU, why bother?

I wouldn't fret too much, though.  I suspect you could pretty much
implement the entire thing in an FPGA with room to spare.  Heck, make the
switches and LEDs small enough and you could make working PDP-8's for use
as dollhouse furniture.

Cheers,
Chuck