ClassicCMP.org direction

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 09:18:32 CDT 2006

Jay West wrote:
> The goal is to move more towards ClassicCMP.org being a tier1 resource
> for vintage computer collectors and hobbyists - a full fledged resource
> and not just a mailing list - a launching board to other sites as well.
> I'm not trying to hurt anyone elses website or resources. I just want
> ClassicCMP.org to be more of a branded entity, and provide a large
> de-facto starting spot for collectors and hobbyists. Not just a mailing
> list.

OK, back-burner idea that keeps resurfacing is that it'd be great if the
"which site has what" or "which site does what" could be somehow automated and
shared between websites with a classic computer theme.

Think of the way that manx pulls together classic documents available on other
sites - but in this case any participating site would have a manx-like
interface via a stock bit of PHP (say - or something else) code. An owner of
one participating site would put some new content online and then 'publish'
it; the fact that it was available would then (somehow) propagate to other
websites participating in the scheme (which would all display somewhere a
"classic computing search" box).

Heck, the content could even be published with a flag saying "yes, other sites
can grab and host their own copy of this if they want", allowing site owners
to duplicate content if the original publisher allows it; that's got to be a
Good Thing.

Rationale: It bugs me as a user when I know that some document (or whatever)
that I'm after might be on one website, just not one that I've happened to
stumble across - and I don't necessarily have time to look at *every* DEC (or
whatever) website out there! With a sharing of "who has what", users benefit
by not missing out on stuff, and site owners benefit by getting publicity for
their own site (via searches carried out on a different site).

It seems like a nice concept - I just don't know if it's workable :-) I'm not
sure if a massive centralised database would be best, or if it's possible to
do some DNS-like distributed database somehow so all the load's not on one
system (and single point of failure).

Presumably items in the system would be defined in plain-text, but possibly
categorised (ROM image, software image, magazine ad, photo, manual scan etc.).
There'd probably need to be some suggested guidelines too (such as scans
saying what resolution / colour depth they are, software images saying what
format they're in etc.)

Maybe it's a stupid idea :) I just know that it's frustrating when looking for
something knowing that it's likely out there *somewhere*, but search sites
like Google aren't specific enough to let me find it. If a central database is
the best approach though, it could well be a good candidate for classiccmp.org
hosting...

cheers

Jules