Socket Use

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 10 22:56:30 CDT 2006

There was (and maybe still is) a valid use for sockets.

The "was" was when LSI IC prices were high.   There was just too much
invested in them to scrap them along with a defective board.  This still
obtains with CPUs  and memory in PCs.   At one time, two-channel serial I/O
boards for PCs were shipped with one 8250 and one set of 1488/89s.  The
positions for the second port were socketed.  Before that, almost any LSI
IC was socketed, such were the economic realities.

The "is" is when a ROM needs to be socketed for the purpose of a field
upgrade, although flash is making this pretty much obsolete.

I can't think of any other reasons.  Are there any?

Cheers,
Chuck