Socket Use

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 10 23:36:37 CDT 2006

On 6/10/2006 at 9:17 PM Don Y wrote:

>In a "PC", <shrug>

No kidding.  When you get one of those CPUs with the NIchicon electrolyic
disease, you pull the CPU and memory and pretty much everything else goes
to recycling--well,maybe you pull the button cell.  Such are realities.  To
sell an old PC mobo on eBay, one almost has to include CPU and memory with
it--and even then, there are no guarantees.

This seems horribly wasteful to me, but then my TV is a Sony from the
1970's.  Repairs have been easy and it just keeps going.  It survoved a
fall off of a table during the Loma Prieta quake (cracked the plastic
bezel, but some fiberglass cloth and Bondo took care of that.  After a coat
of paint, it looks original.)  No remote on this one, but there is a mini
phone jack labeled "KV-1922" whatever that's for.

The portable AM/FM radio sitting on my kitchen table is likewise an old
Sony, but this time from the 60's that proudly proclaims "10 transistor".
Those are germanium transistors--the unit's powered by 3 D cells, which
last about a year or so of daily use.  A nylon dial indicator pulley
cracked, so I fabricated one from the head of a nylon thumbscrew.  That's
been the extent of repairs on it--it's quite sensitive--even the dial
indicator light still works.

But with a modern PC mobo, I couldn't rationalize the time spent repairing
it.

Cheers,
Chuck