SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) grammer checked

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 20:12:54 CDT 2006

> On 6/13/2006 at 8:22 PM Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>
> >That was the way I learned how to build things as well,  only we started
> >with a hunk of blank sheet metal and ended up with a 5-tube radio.  :-)
>
> In my case, it was a piece of 3/4" thick pine board.  If you didn't have
> surface-mount sockets, you mounted the under-chassis type with spacers so

Have you (or anyone else) come across the 'Improverished Radio
Experimenter' books? THey're fairly modern (in the last 5 years or so),
and describe making valve receivers using this type of construction. The
valves go into those screw-terminal octal sockets normally used for
relays, coils, including the IF transformers are hand-wound on cardboard
tubes, etc). The result is a 3 valve superhet that takes up most of a
desk, but which apparently works.